11 March 2010

style(hunt): briefcase

Chanel Perspex Briefcase
When I was a child, my dad would let me play with his old leather briefcase. It was auburn brown with gold hardware and I would carry it around the house like I had important business. It was the era of power dressing. An Alex P. Keaton in the making. In all actuality, it was only filled with my drawings, markers and whatever baubles I treasured at that time. I was allowed to play with it because my dad had upgraded to a sleek, black crocodile case with silver hinges and lock. Maybe this childhood experience is why I've always wanted a briefcase. I remember thinking that I wanted a chrome one as a college graduation gift in anticipation of my first job. That was when I still used sitcoms as a gauge for my future. I really thought high school would be like Save By the Bell. So disappointing.


One doesn't really see people with briefcases anymore. Messenger, tote and computer bags, yes. Briefcases, no. I am talking about the old-fashioned, hardside *knock, knock, knock* attaché case. I had a professor who carried one. It was this worn, clunky thing at least a couple of decades old. He would walk into the classroom, put it on the front table, and pull out his notes. He would then proceed to lecture for an hour and a half straight with no slides or visual aids. The class was totally devoid of any type of technology since we were not even allowed to take notes on our computers, just pen and paper. It was as if he was letting you know upfront with his briefcase, his teaching style.

I still want a briefcase but really have no reason for one. My computer bag is still more functional. The biggest advantage is that it is hands free. Plus, do I want people to assume that I am carrying around a poker set or at best guess a gun? They are really only seen for ransom drops and other sketchy cash payoff. But I think I am just using TV as a reference again. Regardless, this reasoning didn't stop me from looking around to see what the modern age has to offer.


Tumi Tennyson Attache, $1,995

Asprey Bond Attache, £2,500

Vanguard Business Series Modern 84 Attache, $117.95

Rimowa Topas Aluminum Silver Attache Case, $945

Zero Halliburton 4" aluminum attaché, $550

Totally Bamboo Bamboo Attache Case, $218.95

Louis Vuitton Président, $4,200

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...